The ATM Professional Staff Organisations or PSOs (ATCEUC, ETF, IFATCA, IFATSEA and IFAIMA) have published a response to the Steer Davies Gleave report on “Impact assessment of options for the regulatory approach in RP3 of the SES Performance and Charging Schemes”. Their response highlights that the report is based mainly on airspace users and ANSPs inputs, with no evidence of the participation and contribution of the PSO to the report.
The European Commission is preparing for Reference Period 3 (RP3), 2020-2024, of the Single European Sky (SES) Performance and Charging Schemes for Air Navigation Services. As part of this process, it is considering options for changing Regulation (EU) No 390/2013 (the Performance Regulation) and Regulation (EU) No 391/2013 (the Charging Regulation). To that effect, Steer Davies Gleave was commissioned in August 2017 to identify specific options for change and assess their impacts. Steer Davies Gleave’s findings were published in February 2018.
The PSOs consider the report a missed opportunity to represent the views of all the stakeholders, even though the report states that consultation took place via
‘face-to-face and telephone interviews with 26 stakeholders, including industry representatives, ANSPs, airspace users, employee representative bodies, national authorities and other parties’.
In particular, the report fails to include and evaluate PSOs’ inputs to the consultation on how to improve RP3:
- Increase collaboration amongst stakeholders.
- Solve the ATCO staffing problem.
- Reduce the bureaucratic burden.
- Reduce the number of projects that do not deliver what the industry and SJU promises.
- Prepare the front line actors (air traffic controllers, electronics staff, aeronautical information management staff, etc) for the automation era.
IFATCA’s input to the consultation was based on its position paper on the SES and Europe’s Performance Scheme for RP3, work in which GATCO was actively involved.
Steer Davies Gleave’s report “Impact assessment of options for the regulatory approach in RP3 of the SES Performance and Charging Schemes” can be found here and in the Resource Library section of the GATCO website.
The PSOs response to Steer Davies Gleave’s report can be found here.
IFATCA’s position paper on the SES and Europe’s Performance Scheme for RP3 can be found here and in the Resource Library section of the GATCO website.
– Air Traffic Controllers European Unions Coordination (ATCEUC)
– European Transport Workers’ Federation (ETF)
– International Federation of Air Traffic Controllers’ Associations (IFATCA)
– International Federation of Air Traffic Safety Electronics Associations (IFATSEA)
– International Federation of Aeronautical Information Management Associations (IFAIMA)